Photos by Donna Day.
First Thursday, December 7, 6-10pm. Free.
Join the resident artists of the TK Lofts in a holiday inspired International Celebration of Life as we mark the 13th year of our creative community! In addition to the street level commercial galleries and studios, resident artists on floors 3 through 6 of the building will open their loft spaces to public tours, and present new work in special exhibitions and performances.
Here is just a sampling of what’s in store:
Masquerade Party and Potluck on the Roof Deck
Make a mask, share good food, community and conversation with neighbors. Hosted by Beverly Aarons.
Butoh Dance Presentation
Artistic Director of the DAIPANbutoh Collective Sheri Brown with DAIPAN teachers team Joan Laage and Helen Thorsen will lead a three-part performance from 7:00 pm – 8:30pm. The performance is the culmination of the “Awakening the Fierce Heart of Butoh” 2017 Winter Butoh Class Series at the TK.
Crystal Fosnaugh presents music by Jonathan Mercer 6:30-7:30, spoken word by Keith Ghandi Jones 7:30-8, and music by Sioux City Pete 8-9. Plus, tarot readings by Kook.
Exhibitions and Open Lofts
- Community Room art sale and exhibition featuring work by Keely Dolan, Sydney Pertl and Keven Furiya.
- Lynn Schirmer presents Secret Language, an installation and drawing exhibition in the Washington St. residential entrance gallery.
- Suzanne Morlock will open her studio to reveal static sculptural pieces for a collaborative performance this winter called Contagion. For this piece, Morlock is creating a series of textiles from what she calls the detritus of living with chronic illness. She says, “This work explores a slice of the world of dis-ease through the lens of the current volatile thinking about healthcare and the role of climate change in the heightened imbalance in nature”.
- Clothier and fashionista Karen Burell presents The Mercurial Concept, a selection of garments from 50 years of selling wearable art for those on the edge, curated by John Paul DeGennaro.
- Rosemary Dai Ross will host a mini art exhibition in honor of sharing for the holidays, plus new work and a staged photo booth. Rosemary is a nationally published fine art and portrait photographer who has captured notables such as President Obama, Madeline Albright, Brent Kutzle (One Republic), Dow Constantine, and more.
- The DeGennaro/Riutta family presents a group exhibition featuring Antony De Gennaro (photography & film) , John Paul DeGennaro (mixed media), Marie DeGennaro (original knits) , and Kelly Riutta (collage works).
- Noa Piper‘s Equilibrium402 presents “Overheard In My City,” a historical, hysteric, and historic, three story multi-disciplinary adventure through the heart of identity of and in our city, featuring work by Chloe Collyer, Calvin Gimpelevich, Mary Gross, Eli Lara, Edward Littlefield, Meg Mason, Matt Miller, Eric Padgett, Noa Piper, Anjl Rodee, Charlie Schneider, Stephen Unckles, and Markel Uriu, among others. For the triple floor progression, enter through the west entrance at 108 3rd Avenue South.
- Other resident artists exhibiting in open lofts and common areas include: Doug Vann, Donna Day, Eli Lara, Carol Pettersen, Maurice Hall, Barry Connolly, Celeste Cooning, Linda Wallace, and more.